Thats what I thought, but wasnt the case. The directory was open to full
control by everyone. I did fix the problem though. It turns out this is
an issue with windows not letting anyone edit a file that is in use. And
when a table is used mysql will cache and hence windows thinks it's in
use and will lock it.
I just had to do a mysqladmin -u root refresh and I was able to edit the
table. God how I've missed windows! blah!
Thanks for the pointer though. I ended up finding this solution
somewhere through google, can't remember where atm though.

-Nick