----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul DuBois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Walter Procopio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: Full text limitation?

> At 14:03 +0100 1/8/03, Walter Procopio wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have installed mysql max 4.0.7 gamma on a Suse (ver. 8.0 professional)
> >linux server. I have tried many full text queries and I had only a
problem
> >with a query like this:
> >
> >SELECT count(a.rsori) pippo
> >FROM ecoras a, ecotxt b
> >WHERE MATCH ( b.rstxt ) AGAINST ( '-linux' IN BOOLEAN MODE )
> >AND a.rsori = b.rsori
> >AND a.rscod = b.rscod;
> >
> >If I use only the minus operator I have not a valid resultset.
>
> Isn't that the same as asking for records that don't match anything?

I think I was not exaustive, in mysql handbook I can read:

+    A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in every
row returned.

-     A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be present in
any row returned.
      By default (when neither plus nor minus is specified) the word is
optional, but the rows that contain it will be rated higher.
      This mimicks the behaviour of MATCH() ... AGAINST() without the IN
BOOLEAN MODE modifier.

If I execute a query like in the example, I don't obtain all rows where this
word is not present. Instead if I use a leading plus sign I obtain the right
resultset.
I do not think it is a bug, maybe it is a limitation in full-text search and
I would know how can I obtain a valid resultset.