On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:55:36AM +0000, mysql list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has built MySQL 3.23 from source that can
> handle a high number of connections & threads. I've have tried MySQL
> binaries in the past (not RPMs), but these have had stability/load
> problems. When building from source I don't have those issues, but I
> am limited by the inbuilt limits (of glibc,etc...)

How many connections do you need?

If memory serves, the master db behind Slashdot was handling around
700 connections on a 4 processor P3 Xeon with 4GB RAM.  But it's been
a while since I've talked with Brian about it.

> I need to build MySQL 3.23 on a production server running RedHat
> 7.2, patched glibc (2.2.5-42) and a custom kernel (2.4.19-2
> SMP). Hardware contains Dual Xeon 2.4GHz (hyperthreading disabled)
> and 6GB RAM.

With that kind of RAM and horespower you should be able to go well
above 500 connections.

I'd say more on this topic, but I've not really needed to push MySQL
in that direction.  We tend to use more boxes that cost less and
replicate data.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 25 days, processed 863,460,485 queries (388/sec. avg)