the example will connect to the local mySQL server and create a new database named 'dbname"

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use DBI;
$dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi:mysql:", 'user', 'password', {
PrintError => 0 } ) or die "Can\"t connect to database: $DBI::errstr\n";
$dbh->do("create database dbname");
$dbh->disconnect or warn "Disconnection failed: $DBI::errstr\n";