Cool, you work for Yahoo?

I'd love to know the extent to which Yahoo uses PHP and MySQL these days.
What is the average queries/sec that you are getting with MySQL - what server setup, etc?

Maximo.

At 17:12 9/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:51:20PM -0300, Maximo Migliari wrote:

> What were the main benefits that you noticed straight away before
> adapting your code to use the new features that MySQL 4 offers?

Replication is faster in 4.0. That's a big win for us, as we use
replication pretty heavily.

> Does the query cache make a big difference? Do you have any
> benchmarks, even off your head?

The query cache helps a lot. I ran some stats a while back. We have
some queries that are as optimized as they can get. Accessing this
page:

http://biz.yahoo.com/n/y/yhoo.html

uses the quey to fetch headlines.

Without the query cache, that query can take anywhere from 50ms to
200ms to return (depends on the specific ticker and a few other
factors). With the query cache, it returns in 4ms-6ms when the data
is cached. For frequently accessed tickers, it makes a big
difference.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny | Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 25 days, processed 866,323,874 queries (388/sec. avg)