MY EXPERIENCE WITH MYSQL GAMMA 4.08 on win2000 professional SP 3
was not too bad:

PREPARE
A shutdown mysqlmax-nt (3.23.53) running as NT service,
B downloaded mysql-4.0.8-gamma-win.zip to desktop
C extracted zip to e:\mysql408
D installed to e:\mysql408\install
E opened the html manual
F skimmed 2.122 of the manual, and ignored recommendation
to remove old service. THIS WAS STUPID OF ME.
G. did not use named pipes. I always try to use TCP/IP
H  edited my-large.cnf, since i have about 170 million
records in my dev machine (I develop in windows, and deploy on linux)

ok ok, its just a hobby - but it keeps me out of trouble.

I. edits in my-large.cnf (i changed name to my.cnf and left it in the base
directory)  (THIS WAS STUPID) (Later on I changed name to my.ini and put it
into WINNT root.
        set basedir=e:\\mysql408\\install  ##i used the double backslashes ok..
        set datadir = e:\\mysql408\\install\data        #used double backslashes
        uncommented the Innobase tables lines and set
                the path to e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\data  #for the data
        uncommented the Innobase tables lines and set the
                path to e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\logs      #for the logs
        set the innobase arch dir to e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\logs
        made no changes to the rest of the innobase cnf lines. left as is.

J.  opened a dos shell , cd to the basedir\bin and ran
mysqld-max --standalone, then

GOT ERROR ON START
A. error message file e:\mysql\share\english\errmsg.sys had only 218
messages, should have 237.

FIX
It was looking at the old "my.ini" file in E:\WINNT, so i changed the base
directories there (Half of a fix really...)

Now i tried to install as service, since it ran standalone........

K  TRIED TO RUN AS SERVICE

GOT SYSTEM ERROR 1067 - This is totally unintelligible ..its really
MicroSpeak for "GOTCHA"  :-)

FIX BELOW

1. used only my.ini in the windows NT directory. did not use my.cnf in the
nonstandard directory (this way I can install to my E drive)
2. used my-large.cnf as the base to create the my.ini file in E:\WINNT - the
others probably work fine too...
3. ran mysql-max --standalone --console         #and got error messages
indicated i had bad syntax errors in my my.ini file in e:\winnt
4. fixed the bad entries in my.ini located in E:\WINNT
5. did mysqld-nt-max --remove  (removed old service)
6. did mysqld-nt-max  --install (install new service)
7.  did net start mysql -- with INNODB -- got lots of nice messages...ran
smooth
8. created JimTest database
9. imported 30 million records from testfile -  import took 2:33 -- went
smooth
10. ran select = select * from mytable where name REGEXP '^joe.*$'  LIMIT
5000          #select ran fine although it took 2:15
11 created index on name - went out for a walk....(hey its 30 million
records!) 51:23
12 reran the select in #9 - now takes 2:14 -  a 1 second improvement --- but
lots of optimizations remain....

CONCLUSION
it works fine, but if not using C drive be sure to use my.ini in the WINNT
root, and not my.cnf in the non-standard directory (OR just install to C,
like most people do...)

MY.ini file below===============>========================>

# Example mysql config file.
# Copy this file to c:\my.cnf to set global options  (I copied this to
WINNT\my.ini)
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run the program with --help to get a list of available options

# This will be passed to all mysql clients
[client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL

# Here is entries for some specific programs
# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=256
set-variable    = sort_buffer=1M
set-variable    = record_buffer=1M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=8
log-bin
server-id       = 1

# Uncomment the following rows if you move the MySQL distribution to another
# location
basedir = e:\\mysql408\\install
datadir = e:\\mysql408\\install\data

# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables
#set-variable   = bdb_cache_size=64M
#set-variable   = bdb_max_lock=100000

# Uncomment the following if you are using Innobase tables
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:1000M
innodb_data_home_dir = e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\data
innodb_log_group_home_dir = e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\logs
innodb_log_arch_dir = e:\\mysql408\\install\\ibase\\logs
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=128M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=128M