Hi,

One of my new years resolutions was to spend some quality time Mysql.
Yesterday I started installing it and I have some problems.

I have downloaded two different packages

1. Mysql 4.0.8 for Freebsd:

   Is this actually a freebsd package that you need to install with pkg_add?
   I tried this method as well as installing it as a binary but neither works

2. Mysql 4.0.8 source files

   Tried to install it with gunzip < mysql-4.0.8-gamma.tar.gz | tar xvf -
   But I keep on getting errors that points to gunzip or tar

3. Mysql 3.23.49 source

   Because I could not get Mysql 4 to run I tried the older one again.
   This installs fine but when I try to start the daemon with
   #bin/safe_mysqld & I get the message that Mysql started with the databases in
/usr/local/var. However, It always immediately gives the Mysql ended message. I have
had the problem before and I cannot remember how I fix it.

Thanks for your help