Hi,

I've got a mysql application that was developed on win32 and linux that is
now going to be deployed on a Sun E250 Solaris 9 box with 3 36Gb non raided
SCSI disks.  No problem I thought - the performance is fine on my PIII
850MHz laptop, so it will rock on an E250...

Not the case - the laptop seems to be performing at twice the speed of the
E250 for a simple select from a table of 55 million simple rows (just 3
floating point numbers per row - the .MYD file is 700Mb and the .MYI index
file is 2.7Gb).  It takes 1.2 seconds on the laptop and 2.5 seconds on the
sun.  This is a big problem, as I have to do three of these queries plus
processing and return in under 10 seconds. The laptop takes 6 seconds, the
Sun takes 12.  I've got a Linux PIII 933MHz Dell Server which at least half
as much again faster than the laptop.

I've increased the key cache to 250Mb on the Sun (it's at the default on the
laptop), but no radical difference was apparent.

The Sun install is pretty much out of the box, apart from the file system
organisation.  MySQL has its own disk.

I'm running the 32 bit variants of MySQL.  Would the 64 bit be any different
(Solaris 9 is installed with 32 bit and 64 bit support)?

Has anyone got any similar experience?  Can any one recommend trying
anything?

Any help, comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Andy
[mysql query]