Hi

I have a table holding a set of messages along with child tables holding
more details for the same. Normal RDBMS scenario.

The typical requirement is to see a set/page (say 10 per page) of such
messages along with the details page by page and also the total rows
available applying the filters specified by the user say a date-range.

The platform/tools/language is IE, PHP/MYSQL/Apache/RH-Linux

The table size may run into 1 million rows in a year.

There will typically be 10-15 users doing this activity.

What is the best way to get the total count as well as the paged
content. Do I need to fire two queries or is there a trick which can do
this in a single query?

Thx
Vikash K Agarwal