Are there any general guidelines for optimizing ext3 for MySQL? I have a
perl script that runs 200K + updates into my database once a day and I see
pretty wildly fluctuating query/sec numbers using Jeremy Z's mytop program.
I've seen in excess of 2000 qps and then seen that number drop to 40 qps.
The average seems to be about 200 qps, which seems kinda slow given my
hardware:

Dual P3 1.3MHz
1GB RAM
Dual SCSI drives (160 MB/s)
RedHat 7.3
MySQL 3.23.53a w/MyISAM tables
This particular table being updated has about 5 million rows. The fields
being updated are not indexed.

Also, the qps numbers seem to slow down every 5 seconds or so, which I think
matches the default write timing for the ext3 journal. Can anybody share
their experience with optimizing ext3 -- i.e. which mode is best (writeback,
ordered, journal) and any parameters that can be tuned? Any insight is
appreciated.

Thanks,
--jeff