Hi,
Some time ago i've read that we shouldn't use myisamchk while the mysql
server was running. Now, i don't find where in the manual says something
about it.
I think you should do a "FLUSH TABLES" and ensure that no one touches
the tables (including mysqld) before using myisamchk.
Coudn't you use "CHECK/OPTIMIZE/REPAIR TABLES" (or whatever you're doing
with myisamchk) instead of myisamchk ?
I think it's safer... :-)

This short text is more specific:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/myisamchk_syntax.html
"
Note that if you get an error like:

myisamchk: warning: 1 clients is using or hasn't closed the table
properly

This means that you are trying to check a table that has been updated by
the another program (like the mysqld server) that hasn't yet closed the
file or that has died without closing the file properly.

If you mysqld is running, you must force a sync/close of all tables with
FLUSH TABLES and ensure that no one is using the tables while you are
running myisamchk. In MySQL Version 3.23 the easiest way to avoid this
problem is to use CHECK TABLE instead of myisamchk to check tables.
"

--
Diana Soares