Hi.

As Jeremy said, most info can be found by reading the archives or the
manual.

On Tue 2003-01-14 at 11:41:16 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've asked on another list which database they recommend among MySQL and MS
> SQL, and ... possibly PostgreSQL.
> Most of that list members answered me that they recommend MS SQL because it
> has much more features.

The simple question is: do you need the features? If so, you should
probably go with MS SQL or Oracle. If not, why should you (waste your
money)?

> Can you tell me which are the most important differences between MS SQL and
> MySQL?
> I am interested in the differences in the following areas:
>
> - the speed

All benchmark are lies (they show what they are supposed to measure,
not what your requirements are). That said, you may want to have a
look at e.g.

  http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html

and MySQL AB's summary of the latter:

  http://www.mysql.com/eweek/index.html

> - the max size of a database, the max size of a table, etc.

Database and table size are almost unlimited. (8 Million TB for
tables), but practically limited by the underlying OS:

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_size.html

> - the things that can be done in MySQL but can't be done in MS SQL

I don't know about the MS SQL side, but here is some of the MySQL
side:

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Compatibility.html
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Extensions_to_ANSI.html (particularly)

Additional MySQL "features" are:

- you have the source and can tweak behaviour, if you want or need
- outstanding support on this list and by MySQL AB
- quick turn-around time: although no guarantee, experience shows, if
  you happen to find a critical bug, chances are high that you have a
  patch the next day.

> - The things that can be done in MS SQL but not in MySQL

Again the MySQL side of things:

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Differences_from_ANSI.html

> - How easy is to access a database from Perl

I don't know about MS SQL, but I presume it can be accessed via DBI
the same way as MySQL, so the answer is probably: it is the same for
both.

There are quite some interesting, more insightful posts in the list
archive about that, but I am a bit too lazy to dig them up.

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]