Elby --

...and then Elby Vaz said...
%
% ----------I´m brazilian. Sorry by my english----------------

I'm sure your English is better than my Portugese!

%
% hello!

Hi!

%
% I installed
%
%     mysql-4.0.9-gamma-win
%
% on my machine.
%
% What means "gamma" ?

You don't know what it means and you installed it?? ;-)

It refers to the Greek alphabet letters 'alpha', 'beta', and 'gamma'.  A
software product with 'alpha' is very immature and not at all ready for
release (in the opinion of whoever matters, like the author).  The next
stage is 'beta', like "beta testing"; it means that things have come
along and are just about done but there can still be some bugs.  Finally
you get to 'gamma', which means approximately "is really stable with no
expected bugs and you can start using it now, though we'll probably do
more development and add some features here and there" in the MySQL world
as well as for much other software.

I think that Microsoft starts selling their products at about the 'beta'
stage, and 'gamma' is called "buy the next beta" ;-)

%
% Thanks,
% Elby.

HTH & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"