I've got a table whose structure looks like this:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS calc_hits
 (id BIGINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  hit_date  DATETIME NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (id))
  AUTO_INCREMENT = 1;

On a web site, a row gets inserted into this table
whenever a visitor uses a certain tool on the site.
The INSERT command looks like this:

INSERT INTO calc_hits VALUES (null, SYSDATE());

This may be anywhere from zero to hundreds of times a
day.

I'd like to have a page that displays the values in
this table in a meaningful way. I let the user choose
the date range and then I select a count() of all the
ID values and GROUP BY the date values. This works
well, except that days with ZERO hits on them don't
show up at all (nothing to group by)... here's the
query I'm using:

SELECT
 DATE_FORMAT(hit_date, '%c/%e/%Y') hit_date,
 COUNT(*) hit_count
FROM homepage_hits
WHERE hit_date >= <start_date>
AND hit_date <= <end_date>
GROUP BY date_format(hit_date, '%Y %c %e')
ORDER BY date_format(hit_date, '%Y %m %d') DESC

What I'd like is to change this so that a day that
falls in that date range, but has ZERO hits for the
day will still show up in the result set with the date
and a HIT_COUNT value of 0.

I've tried a number of different permutations of this
query, but am not having much luck. Before I go the
brute force route and handle it procedurally in my
application (which could yield several dozen
individual queries on the page), I'd like to see if
anyone can help. I appreciate any feedback/assistance
you may have.

Regards,

J Donnici