Kris,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Krzysztof Karski"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:35 AM
Subject: replication problems with InnoDB tables...?

> So I have been reading a lot lately about replication but I can't find a
> good summary/explanation of MySQL's replication features regarding InnoDB
> tables and how their transactional properties may cause problems in
> replication.

transactions should not cause problems in replication. However, a relevant
bug fix is this:

"
MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.6, December 19, 2002
Fixed a bug: in replication issuing SLAVE STOP in the middle of a
multi-statement transaction could cause that SLAVE START would only perform
part of the transaction. A similar error could occur if the slave crashed
and was restarted.

"

> I have seen suggestions that InnoDB tables should be converted to MyISAM
> tables before being loaded and then converted back to InnoDB tables.

LOAD TABLE FROM MASTER only works for MyISAM tables.

To set up a new replication slave you should use a cold backup, or a hot
backup made with the non-free InnoDB tool.

> I have also seen many others here confused as to what problems there are
> between InnoDB and replication.
>
> So, could some friendly MySQL guru please explain to me, and many others,
> what the replication issues with InnoDB tables really are...please? The
docs
> state that InnoDB is replication safe yet there seem to be so many
problems
> with them when updates fail, roll back or are partially executed because
> some constraint conflict that causes replication to stop.

A relevant bug fix:

"
MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.6, December 19, 2002

Fixed two bugs introduced in 4.0.4: in AUTO_INCREMENT, REPLACE could cause
the counter to be left 1 too low. A deadlock or a lock wait timeout could
cause the same problem.
"

MySQL does not write to the binlog SQL statements which fail. It does not
write to the binlog any SQL statements from a transaction which is rolled
back. Thus, these are never replicated, and in the slave there should not be
any constraint violation errors.

> Sincerely
> Kris Karski

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, hot backup, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com

sql query