I'm really just currious as to WHAT you would want to see as opposed
to NULL?

How could you have a field that has no value?  What would it mean?
NULL is the answer to this.  It is recording the absence of
something.  So, I would say that this is an expected behaviour of any
database engine.

For example, a price field might have 3 distinct values.  First value
is >0.  This says that there is a price, and what it is.  Second
value is 0.  This might say that it is a 'free' item.  The third
value is NULL.  This would say that there is no price.  For data
collection, 0 would mean that it was measured, but the value was 0.
There might be 0" of rain fall in a day.  A NULL in this case would
say that while the field is there, either measurements were not done,
or there was a 'problem' with the reporting device, or it has not
reported yet.

Ah, and remember that NULL and "NULL" are different.

On 15 Jan 2003 at 18:48, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Tue 2003-01-14 at 09:32:02 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm aware that NULL and "" are not the same thing.. I would like to
> > prevent the column from accepting values automatically ( with out the
> > presence of a DEFAULT).
> [...]
>
> The problem is: You have a DEFAULT, you just don't know it. ;-)
>
> Do a SHOW CREATE TABLE stuff, and you'll see what I mean. That is a
> known deficiency, as Eric told you:
>
>   It's a known behaviour and is described in the MySQL manual:
>
>         http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Bugs.html
>
>   You can change it if you compile MySQL server with
>   -DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS option. But in this case you can't use
>   default values at all.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/configure_options.html describes
> -DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS.
>
> HTH,
>
>       Benjamin.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Opus--

There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
                            - Henry Adams

Get added to my Humor list:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=ADD_HUMOR
Get added to my Neat list:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=ADD_NEAT
Get my PGP public key:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=PSEND&body=send%20PublicKEY.asc
Visit My Home Page:
http://value.net/~opus/