Hi.

On Wed 2003-01-22 at 23:07:24 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm really just currious as to WHAT you would want to see as opposed
> to NULL?

Well, you asking the wrong guy, because I did not need that feature,
but I'll try to explain anyhow.

They want to see an error instead. It is the same why people use
foreign keys and constraints: They want to enforce that only data
which complies which certain rules enters the database. And before you
are asking: Yes, there are situations where you know that an unknown
value (NULL) is neither needed nor wanted for a column.

> How could you have a field that has no value?  What would it mean?

As I said, they want an error instead. If you don't know a value for
this field, they want that you are not allowed to insert/update that
row.

> NULL is the answer to this.  It is recording the absence of
> something.  So, I would say that this is an expected behaviour of
> any database engine.

I see which point you are making and you are correct about it but you
are missing their requirements.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

[...]