Heya Folkth:

I have built mysql (4.0.9) on freebsd (4.7-RELEASE) with linuxthreads
(2.2.3) and still encounter the 'strange threading' behavior described in J.
Zawodny's blog.

Here's the situation...

1/ there are three threads which lock and then write to two different
tables...the locks are gotten using 'low_priority write'; the writing
threads are continually waiting for locks (i.e two are waiting, one is
executing);
2/ I do a select count(*) from one of the tables;

Sometimes the select returns pretty quick witht the count; however,
frequently the selecting thread will simply hang waiting to get the lock--if
I look at the thread in [top] the thread will be taking a LOT of cpu time;
if I look at the offending thread in the processlist it has a status of
'waiting for tables'.

It's my understanding that the selecting thread should be given the table
lock as soon as the writing thread that has the write lock has finished.
*All three writing threads keep processing* while the select thread is
waiting: I can see their debug output in my terminals.

So perhaps this isn't a FreeBSD threading issue?

Peter
<^_^>