JD,

my answer may seem ridiculous, too, but with the following setup you
should be able to use MySQL databases and tables both under Linux and
Windows on the same machine.

About the only thing you need is access to the MySQL data directory from
both Linux and Windows. Regardless of the operating system,

 mysqladmin variables

will show you where DATADIR is. Of course (though it may sound even more
ridiculous), you have to have MySQL installed both under Linux and under
Windows.

Whether you've started mysqld or not, you can issue

 mysqld --print-defaults

to find out the location of DATADIR. However, this will not show you
DATADIR if it's not in my.cnf / my.ini.

Now, let's say DATADIR is in /var/lib/mysql/ under Linux, and under
Windows this is c:\mysql\data\ (I'm not informed how paths will look
like when you share them between OS's).

In this case, you would edit /etc/my.cnf under Linux and fill in:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql

And, under Windows, this would be the following in c:\winnt\my.ini
(assuming you boot Win NT/2000/XP):

[mysqld]
datadir=c:\mysql\data

Now, I suggest you start the MySQL server (both OS's) as follows:

shell> mysqld --standalone --console

This will output a lot of start information, so you can find out what's
going wrong at startup.

HTH,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>