I'm a new mysql user running on OS X. I have set up a test database and am
trying to use mysqldump to create a backup. However here is what happens:

[h24-85-217-157:/usr/local/bin] garydr% mysqldump -h localhost -u root
bpw_db>bpw_db_backup.sql

bpw_db_backup.sql: Permission denied.

I have no idea what's going on. I understand that this command should create
an sql file with my database structure and data in it. Sounds good. However,
I can't run the command.

I read in a manual I could get help as follows:

[h24-85-217-157:/usr/local/bin] garydr% mysqldump --help
mysqldump: Command not found.

But as you can see, it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me, or direct me to a good source of information related to
running mysql on OS X? For example, I can't figure out where in my system
the mysql database files are located. If I could, at least I could just make
backup copies to CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gary