At 21:12 -0600 1/31/03, Gary Reimer wrote:
I'm a new mysql user running on OS X. I have set up a test database and am
trying to use mysqldump to create a backup. However here is what happens:

[h24-85-217-157:/usr/local/bin] garydr% mysqldump -h localhost -u root
bpw_db>bpw_db_backup.sql

bpw_db_backup.sql: Permission denied.

I have no idea what's going on.
You're trying to run the command in the /usr/local/bin directory, and you
won't have permission to write in that directory unless you're root.

Run the command in a directory you own.  On to the second problem:

 I understand that this command should create
an sql file with my database structure and data in it. Sounds good. However,
I can't run the command.

I read in a manual I could get help as follows:

[h24-85-217-157:/usr/local/bin] garydr% mysqldump --help
mysqldump: Command not found.

But as you can see, it doesn't work.
This indicates that you don't have /usr/local/bin in your PATH
setting (the variable that determines the directories in which your
shell looks for commands).  Add the directory to your PATH.  If you
don't know how, see "What To Do if mysql Cannot be Found":

http://www.kitebird.com/mysql-cookbook/path.pdf

The information in this document also applies to mysqldump

Can anyone help me, or direct me to a good source of information related to
running mysql on OS X? For example, I can't figure out where in my system
the mysql database files are located.
% mysql
mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'data_dir';

 If I could, at least I could just make