I have just installed mysql-max-3.23.55-pc-linux-i686.tar.gz and now
I'm finding it impossible to run mysqld without being root.  The
permisions for the mysql data tree are all set with user and group
"mysql".  However when I run mysql.server I get permission denied
errors:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
./bin/safe_mysqld: line 236:
/usr/local/mysql/data/ophelia.menagerie.cc.err: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/usr/local/mysql/data/ophelia.menagerie.cc.pid':
Permission denied
./bin/safe_mysqld: line 242:
/usr/local/mysql/data/ophelia.menagerie.cc.err: Permission denied
tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/ophelia.menagerie.cc.err: Permission denied
030211 20:30:23  mysqld ended
tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/ophelia.menagerie.cc.err: Permission denied

I have setup /etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld]
basedir=/usr/local/mysql
user=mysql

I have mysql.server in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and mysqld won't start at
boot.  I am assuming it is because of these premission errors.  Is
there some way that I can force mysqld to always run as user "mysql"?
Is there a setting now that is overriding /etc/my.cnf?

Thank you very much,

Guildencrantz