I really am running it all again !
Obviously though I am going wrong somewhere...
I have killed it all and run it again 3 times now
and getting the same errors, I think it is
because I have done it so many times now...
I have copied and pasted everything that i have
typed (sorry that it is quite alot) in the hope
that someone can see where I am going wrong:

here it is after I have killed everything:

[root@jt local]# cd sfiles
[root@jt sfiles]# ls
acid-0.9.6b21.tar.gz
mysql/                        phplot-4.4.6.tar.gz
apache_1.3.24-i686-whatever-linux22.tar.gz
MySQL-Max-3.23.42-1.i386.rpm  snort-1.8.6.tar.gz
gd-2.0.11/
mysql.tar.gz                  snortrules.tar.gz
gd-2.0.11.tar.gz
openssl-0.9.6c.tar.gz         zlib-1.1.4/
libpcap-0.7.1.tar.gz
php-4.1.2.tar.gz              zlib.tar.gz
mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24.tar.gz
phplens27-021230.tgz
[root@jt sfiles]# cd mysql
[root@jt mysql]# ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--localstatedir=/var/mysql
NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's
ready to run, you don't
need to configure it!

To help you a bit, I am now going to create the
needed MySQL databases
and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run
into any trouble, please
consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in
the Docs directory.

Installing all prepared tables
030212  9:22:48  ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL
root USER !
This is done with:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h jt.redhat  password
'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <=
3.22.10 you should run
the ./bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise
you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd . ; ./bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks
in the 'sql-bench' directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the
./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available
on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at
https://order.mysql.com

Starting the mysqld server.  You can test that it
is up and running
with the command:
./bin/mysqladmin version
[root@jt mysql]# Starting mysqld daemon with
databases from /usr/local/sfiles/mysql/data

[root@jt mysql]# scripts/mysql_install_db
Installing all prepared tables
030212  9:23:13  ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

[root@jt mysql]# echo /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
>> /etc/ld.so.conf && ldconfig
[root@jt mysql]# groupadd mysql
groupadd: group mysql exists
[root@jt mysql]# useradd -g mysql mysql
useradd: user mysql exists
[root@jt mysql]# chown -R root:mysql
/usr/local/mysql
[root@jt mysql]# chown -R mysql
/usr/local/mysql/bin
[root@jt mysql]# chown -R mysql /var/mysql
chown: failed to get attributes of `/var/mysql':
No such file or directory
[root@jt mysql]# chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
[root@jt mysql]# chown -R mysql.mysql
/usr/local/mysql
[root@jt mysql]# scripts/mysql_install_db
Installing all prepared tables
030212  9:26:45  ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

[...]

[root@jt mysql]# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[3] 3526
[root@jt mysql]# Starting mysqld daemon with
databases from /usr/local/sfiles/mysql/data
030212 09:27:04  mysqld ended

[3]   Done                    bin/safe_mysqld
--user=mysql
[root@jt mysql]# bin/mysqladmin -u root password
'password'
bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost'
failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

I would really appreciate it if someone could
point out at which point I am messing it up.

Thanks for your time

--- gerald_clark
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> chown -R  mysql.mysql    /var/lib/mysql
> Substitute the actual location where mysql
> stores its data files.
>
> J. A. Tovey wrote:
>
> >ok :)
> >
> >all killed now,
> >
> >(not quite there yet though :))
> >
> >I am now getting the error:
> >
> >030211 16:26:51  mysqld started
> >030211 16:26:51  /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld:
> >Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno:
> 13)
> >030211 16:26:51  mysqld ended
> >
> >?

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>