Hi,

Our intranet system is using mysql. At the moment authentication is done
using a password and login kept in mysql. Our webmail system authenticates
using ldap.

We are also going to use ldap to authenticate for our intranet. Advantage
for the user will be only to having to remember one password and they can
change it via either webmail or the intranet.

Information is kept about our users in mysql like, name, adddress, tel in
a table called person.

Queries can join person table with other tables as needed.

My question is:

Would it make sense to keep all the person data in a ldap directory. And
no data about the person in the database (only user_id, and at least
first_name, surname)
When a user updates their data via the intranet it would only update the
data in the ldap directory.

All queries would only get back the user_id, so any more information about
each user would be found from the ldap directory.

I think at least the person table should contain user_id, first_name,
surname that would minimise the queries sent to the ldap directory. Only
more specific information like address, tel etc would come from ldap. But
also in ldap would have to be first_name, surname.

Just wondering how other developers have integrated ldap into their
existing applications.

Any url's on this topic would be appreciated and of course your thoughts.

Regards and thanks

Scott