Is it just me, or does Mysql allow invalid dates to be entered into columns with date
datatype? I found some data that blew up in a perl script when doing some date
manipulation, and it turns out I have invalid dates in my database, such as June 31,
2003. Of course June never has 31 days.

Is this a known bug? honestly, this seems like a pretty basic thing to validate. Is
there a patch/fix for it?

here's a transcript of a quick test i did afterwards...june 31 enters successfully but
not june 33:

mysql> create table DateTest ( id integer(11),
    -> startDate date);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> desc DateTest;
+-----------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field     | Type    | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-----------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| id        | int(11) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| startDate | date    | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+-----------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into DateTest values (1, '2002-06-31');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from DateTest;
| id   | startDate  |
|    1 | 2002-06-31 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Don Vu > Madstone Theaters
85 fifth avenue, 12th floor > new york > new york > 10003
p 212.379.1545 > f 212.989.7744 > www.madstonefilms.com