From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 5:00 PM
To: Peter Grigor; Don Vu; MySQL Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Invalid Date Bug

At 16:55 -0500 2/14/03, Peter Grigor wrote:
>Yep, you're right. Never noticed that before :)
>
>I think that would probably be considered a bug. But possibly for
>efficiency's sake the check was made ultra simple.

It can be argued either way.  You could just as well consider it a
bug that you try to shove garbage into your database. :-)

Client-side validation has the disadvantage that you must do it in
each client, of course.  On the other hand, for things like web apps,
you may as well validate the data in the client anyway: Suppose MySQL
validated the date and returned an error for a bad data.  You'd just
have to tell the user that anyway, plus you wasted time sending a
bad query to the server.  If you check the date in your app, you can
tell the user immediately and skip the bad query.