Mark,

> Is the only reason for this the fact that I have mysql running? Are
> mysqlcheck and myisamchk doing the exact same thing. Or are
> there scenarios in which one reports errors and the other doesn't.

mysqlcheck and myisamchk are doing the same things _basically_.
mysqlcheck does all the operations you can perform on the SQL command
line (OPTIMIZE TABLE etc.), myisamchk can do a bit more.

mysqlcheck will work on BDB and InnoDB tables for a number of
operations, myisamchk will only work on MyISAM tables.

> Does mysqlcheck lock tables while checking? If so, does it do full
> locks or is read-access possible during the check is performed?

And now (most important in this context): mysqlcheck will take care to
flush and lock the tables it performs operations on, myisamchk won't.
So if you're not taking down the server, you will have to do the
following (probably with the help of some script):

LOCK TABLE tbl1;
FLUSH TABLES;         <--- Don't forget about this one!
... perform the myisamchk operation(s) ...
UNLOCK TABLES tbl1;
LOCK TABLE tbl2;
etc.

Regards,