Hi!

On Feb 17, Brandon Young wrote:
> Hello, all.  I have been staring at this problem for an entire day.
> Googling turns up very little in the way of helpful information for
> solving my problem.
>
> I started a new tutorial, and ran into a problem.  When I attempt to add
> a new database, I get the following error message: ERROR 1006: Can't
> create database 'mydb'. (errno: 5).
>
> Googling turned up a very similar error, only it was errno: 28 instead
> of errno: 5.  errno: 28 is related to disk space, but I have found
> absolutely nothing on errno: 5.

Besides google there's also a manual ;o) that
describes a "perror" program from MySQL distribution.

% perror 5 28
Error code   5:  Input/output error
Error code  28:  No space left on device
serg:~ %

So, indeed, error 28 could be a common case, but error 5 ?
'man errno' explains

  5 EIO Input/output error. Some physical input or output error occurred.
          This error will not be reported until a subsequent operation on
          the same file descriptor and may be lost (over written) by any
          subsequent errors.

If it won't ring any bells, try mysqld with strace to see what *exactly*
syscall caused errno 5.

Regards,
Sergei

--