On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 05:06:17PM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:
> This will be my last posting.  I don't belive I am being constructive
> and have no wish to instantly be hated by the whole of MySQL.

Probably wasn't wise to make a post about how you felt MySQL was
expensive (huh?) and their staff rude, then.  Don't worry, it'll
only be archived publically for the rest of eternity....

> Therefore, if I was to use ODBC, I would not be using your API in my
> application, and could install MySQL under the GPL and use my
> application without licence?  (If I so choose.)

If all you're doing is connecting to a MySQL server, without using
the MySQL client libraries, then I fail to see what relevance
MySQL's license has to you.  However, IANAL.  If your product is
actually going to make any money anyway then it will be worth
consulting someone who is.

> Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> >You forget that (as someone else pointed out, perhaps Ben) MySQL's
> >Copyright still lies with MySQL AB.  You can fork the code and modify
> >and distribute it _under the GPL_ but that doesn't buy you anything --
> >you don't then have the right to link it against a commercial program or
> >even to relicense it.  All you have is a renamed version of MySQL that
> >is still under the GPL.  That's not what you're hoping for, is it?
>
> This may be true.  I am a programmer, not a solicitor.  It does seem to
> fly in the face of Ritchard Stallman's origional idea and intent of the
> GPL.  So your software may be folked, but then not used as it then
> violates some other law.  If that's the case, so be it.  I better
> copyright all my GPL projects ASAP...

Everything you produce has your copyright, but the instructions for
using the GPL do specifically tell you to put "Copyright <you>" in
it.

AFAIK the default amount of rights someone has with your product is none at
all.  The copyright holder then decides what you can do with it by
means of the license, the GPL being a popular example in the open
source/free software world.

I find it quite amusing that you are going on about Richard Stallman
in this, your rant about how MySQL AB won't let you use their GPL
software in your _closed source_ commercial product.  If on the
other hand, your product is GPL itself, or you don't actually need
to use any of MySQL AB's GPL'd stuff, then I fail to see what your
problem actually is.