For the best I know, it is not possible to do your task with single sql with
MySQL. I have done similar task before but I need to put them into temp
table and sort or create an index on the temp table.

As you can create temp table in memory (server), speed is really not a
problem.

You may find the 'CREATE TEMPORARY ....... TYPE=HEAP SELECT .... FROM'

syntax very useful.

If you are in some mean using presistant connection (like using PHP), be
careful to DROP the temporary table after use.

Regards,

Yours,
KH Chiu
C&A Computer Consultants Ltd.