Richard,

> Yikes!!! I knew that running "default configuration" gave you SOME
> values, but I didn't know they were so small. I've placed the
> my-medium.cnf as "my.cnf" in /etc on the Sparc 20, and also in C:\ on
> the W2K machine. Database access is much improved on both.

:))

> Now, if people would get off the production server so I could restart
> MySQL... <G>

You don't have to wait for this. You can start mysql (the command line
tool) like this:

mysql --max-allowed-packet=16M

This would set the communication buffer to 16 MB for this session. (I
must admit that this doesn't work for me with MySQL 4.0.10 under
Win2K. It either takes the server setting which overrides the client
setting, or it sets the maximum packet size to 1 MB which is the
default. It might work under a real operating system, though ;-)

You can check whether the new setting was enabled or not by issuing
this SQL statement:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max_allowed_packet';

This will show the communication buffer size in bytes.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>