Nikola,

> When I start my mysqld deamon, I get this message: "Can't initialize InnoDB
> as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set". I've been reading through Reference
> Manual and I realise that I have to configure my.cnf file if I want to use
> InnoDB, and the problem would dissapear, but the problem is I don't need
> InnoDB (in fact dno't know what it is :-) ). Sow, how do I supress this
> message without configuring InnoDB? (MySQL I'm using is "Ver. 3.23.41-max-
> debug for Win95/Win98 on i32")

Don't use the max version. Under Windows 95/98, this server type is called
mysqld-max.exe. Start mysqld.exe instead. In MySQL 3.23, InnoDB is not
enabled in mysqld.exe. As an alternative, you could start
mysqld-max.exe with the option --skip-innodb:

mysqld.exe --skip-innodb

Or you could configure this in your c:\windows\my.ini configuration
file:

[mysqld]
skip-innodb

(In this case, you have to restart the server for the changes to take
effect.)

mysql>> use nick
> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
> My question is, what does this message mean, and how to get rid of it?

As it says: Start the command line tool like that:

mysql -A

(or: mysql --disable-auto-rehash)

On a slow machine, this can save you some seconds of your valuable
time :)

> File 'NONEXISTENT/charsets/?.conf' not found (Errcode: 2)
> Character set '#27' is not a compiled character set and is not specified
> in the 'NONEXISTENT/charsets/Index' file

Hmm. Probably your basedir variable is not set, and PHP sort of chokes
on this. When starting the server (or in your my.ini, see above), you
can set this variable (in most cases that's not necessary, but in your
case, this seems to be a source of trouble):

mysqld --basedir=c:\mysql (or whatever your installation directory is)

or

[mysqld]
basedir=c:/mysql (note the slash instead of the backslash)

Hope it helps, and have fun with MySQL!

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>