Hi,

I am writing this because of a question on the fora at
WebmasterWorld.com.

A user there is having trouble understanding the formula for estimating
the memory requirement for a heap table:

SUM_OVER_ALL_KEYS(max_length_of_key + sizeof(char*) * 2)
+ ALIGN(length_of_row+1, sizeof(char*))

The question is at http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum23/1731.htm

I have tried to answer, guessing quite a bit, so if somebody knows
better, please post a correction here or on webmasterworld.  No
registration is needed to read the posts.  I'll repost relevant answers
there if necessary.

I have no affiliation with webmasterworld, besides being a user of the
site.

sql,query

--
René Seindal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                  http://sights.seindal.dk/