It is really a good question. I don't think MySQL alone will suit your need.
As far as I know, most people (including me) will use programming languages
like PHP, C, Perl, VB etc. to access MySQL database. If you are not planning
to learn a programming language, you cannot do much with MySQL.

The good news is you can use some other tools to work with MySQL. I am using
phpMyAdmin as my frontend tools. There is a lot of other tools available.

In a more general sense, SQL is designed for computer novice to manipulate
database. Unluckily, this objective is never achieved. So, SQL is some what
restricted to programmer or at least tech. people.

Regards,

KH

> So what is the actual question ?
>
> If you don't have the software, surely you should get it and read
> the manual if that is the best way you learn !
>
> Jerry

Yours,
KH Chiu
C&A Computer Consultants Ltd.