William, Egor, thanks for your attention on this.

William is correct, on debian the standard place for my.cnf is
in /etc/mysql, and we aren't having problems not reading my.cnf
(it worked perfectly well to change the param there for the master).

In desperation, I figured I'd just redo the slave database, so I took
a fresh snapshot of the master (now with the larger key_buffer_size),
scp'ed to the slave, shutdown mysqld on the slave, untarred it into
the mysql dirs, deleted master.info, confirmed my.cnf was how I
wanted it (with the larger buffer specified), started up mysqld,
reset the slave, and did a "change master to" to set the correct new
logging parameters.  Alas, no luck, we *still* have a 16M key buffer
size!

Any other suggestions on what I could try?

thanks,
Liz

On Thursday 27 February 2003 05:41, Liz Derr wrote:

>> I'm using MySQL 3.23.49-log on Debian Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4.
>> I am using replication over ssh tunnels, and one of the slaves is
>> apparently in need of performance tuning.
>>
>> After reviewing the status and variable settings (detailed below) and
>> the MySQL online manual, I decided that I needed to up the
>> key_buffer_size. Unfortunately, I've not been successful in doing
>> this.
>>
>> I tried setting it at the command line:
>> mysql> set key_buffer_size=32M;
>> ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near
>> 'key_buffer_size=32M' at line 1
>
> You can't set up this variable via command-line client.
>
>> I tried setting it in /etc/mysql/my.cnf (detailed below), restarted
>> mysqld, and did a show variables, and it was still 16M.
>>
>> I thought maybe this is variable that is dependent upon the master db.
>> So I changed the master /etc/mysql/my.cnf to set the key_buffer_size
>> to 32M, and restarted it.  I did a show variables on the master, and
>> indeed it now has a key_buffer_size of 32M.
>>
>> I went back to the slave and restarted it, but it *STILL* has a
>> key_buffer_size of 16M (and it still has the 32M setting in the
>> my.cnf).
>>
>> So, does anyone have any suggestions?  Of course, this is predicated
>> on my possibly naive idea that changing the key_buffer_size will help.
>>  If anyone else has suggestions on other tuning, those would be much
>> appreciated, too.   Has anyone done much performance tuning on
>> replicated databases?  I imagine that there might be some differences
>> between that and non-replicated db tuning.
>>

> my.cnf must be located in the /etc dir instead of /etc/mysql.

Not under debian.  Using a .deb they would go in /etc/mysql

> --
> For technical support contracts, goto
>   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   MySQL AB / Ensita.net
>        <___/   www.mysql.com

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061