> I'm using the same MySQL version on debian and have no problem
> setting the key_buffer size.  I take it you are setting
> "key_buffer" and not "key_buffer_size" in the my.cnf file ?
> eg.
> set-variable    = key_buffer=32M

Yes, this is what I'm doing.

> Are you saying that running "change master ..." resets the variable ?

No, "change master" doesn't appear to affect key_buffer.

What I ended up doing is changing   /etc/init.d/mysql   to force it to
pass the key_buffer_size as a parameter:
     /usr/bin/safe_mysqld  -O key_buffer_size=32M
This works.

Also, many thanks to Sasha Pachev who suggested that I look at optimizing
my slow queries - I've added an index, and that has also helped speed things
up.

Liz