Mysql version 3.23.55 Slackware linux 8.0
Mysql version 3.23.55 OpenBSD

I have tried 3 versions of mysql on linux and
on OpenBSD. I have even tried compiling on linux
from the source tarball.

Without the GRANT privs to allow network access:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db.*
    -> TO user@'192.58.197.0/255.255.255.0';
(example), I would get a "you are not allowed to connect"
error. Once I applied the grant to the user:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db.*
    -> TO user@'%'
the users table shows:
| Host                        | User  |
---------------------------------------
| %                           | user  |

If I coonect to the database without a host, or
with host set to localhost, I can connect fine. If
I connect from another machine, or just use the DNS
name on the local machine, I get:
<shell> mysql -h 192.168.1.24 -u test -p

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using
password: YES)

I have even tried connecting using the IP address. I have poured
over the docs, and have tried all the scenarios of add hostnames
to /etc/hosts etc. I even complied from source (glibc problem).
No luck at all... Any ideas? I really need network access to the
database.
--
Steve (egrep)