That was a great suggestion (getting rid of the
"blank" user), but alas, it did not work. Here
are the three examples: (first one fail because the
blank user was removed)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mysql
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mysql -u depot -h localhost -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 5711 to server version: 3.23.55

mysql> quit
Bye

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mysql -u depot -h depotmon -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using
password: YES)

--
Steve (egrep)