From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 2:33 PM
To: Darren Young; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Random Selects

At 12:33 -0600 3/8/03, Darren Young wrote:
I have a table called testimonials:

+----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field    | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id       | tinyint(3)  |      | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| can_use  | tinyint(1)  |      |     | 0       |                |
| name     | varchar(64) |      |     | 0       |                |
| location | varchar(64) |      |     | 0       |                |
| quote    | text        |      |     |         |                |

That contains 20 or so "customer testimonial" comments. I want to
randomly display 3-4 of them every time a page loads (using PHP). Is
there some type of random selction available within MySQL, as in:

    SELECT RANDOM(id),name,location,quote FROM testimonials WHERE
can_use=1 LIMIT 3;

Or something to that effect or am I better served finding some way in
PHP to do this?

.... ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 3

ought to do it, unless your version of MySQL is older than 3.23.2.