On Wed 2003-03-12 at 11:16:09 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> At 11:41 -0500 3/12/03, Douglas B. Jones wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I understood replace to only increment n when it matches the
> >name value.

In that case, you want a primary key on (name,n) with n being
auto_increment.

> There are 122,111 statements, but when you add
> >up the numbers in the n column, they exceed 122,111. They should
>
> I don't know what you're trying to say here.  If you *add up* the
> numbers in the column, of course they will exceed the number of records.

I think he expects one row for each name, with the n being the
(original) number of rows which had that name.

If I am correct, another way to reach the same goal is to simply
insert all rows as (without unique key on name, only a normal key) and
then do a

  SELECT name, COUNT(*) FROM virus GROUP BY name;

This has the advantage that you, Douglas, can keep timestamps and so
on which enables better analysis afterwards. If you are not interested
in other data, but only the one-time analysis you presented, why
(mis-)use a database at all? Simple do something like

  $ sort < file_with_names | uniq -c

in the shell (I presume you have shell access because you used grep
before).

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--