On 13 Mar 2003, at 15:30, lauren wrote:

> the actual horror story query is:
>
> update link set path=insert(path,1,13,'\\test\\test21\\') where
> person_id = 8 and path like '\\test\\test2\\%'

You still haven't told us how you're sending this query to MySQL, and
my advice remains the same.  If at all possible, avoid the problem by
using forward slashes rather than backslashes in your paths.  If
that's not possible, carefully work through how many levels of
escaping you need to get MySQL to see the final SQL statement as you
want it.  Note that for the LIKE part of your query you're going to
need four backslashes to match a single backslash, which means you
likely will be typing eight backslashes at that point in your PHP (or
whatever) code.  See the documentation:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/String_comparison_functions.html

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>