My experience may be limited but I don't know of any database that will allow a
single query to access mutiple database servers

In fact, only a few seem to be able to even access mutiple databases on the same server

Frankly, I am still looking for a db that provides n way replication (this may solve
some of your wishes since a local copy could be maintain on your local server)

Paul DuBois ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>At 9:55 -0500 3/14/03, Bruce Feist wrote:
>>Gelu Gogancea wrote:
>>
>>>To anyone that *didn't see the forest because of the trees*.
>>>
>>>You already find it.
>>>
>>Is MySQL really distributed, or just client-server?  I've seen no
>>indication of distributed capabilities; I'm new to MySQL, so maybe I
>>just haven't read enough.  But a distributed DBMS should be able to
>>execute a single query which transparently accesses multiple
>>database installations on multiple computers, possibly on multiple
>>platforms. For instance,
>>
>>SELECT * from a, b ON a.id = b.id;
>>
>>where table 'a' is in a database on a Windows/2000 computer and
>>table 'b' is on a Linux machine.  The DBMS should keep track of
>>which table is in which database on which computer, and its
>>optimizer should be capable of figuring out an efficient way of
>>resolving such queries.
>>
>>Can MySQL do that?
>>
>>Bruce Feist
>
>No.  A given connection is a connection to a specific server.  You cannot
>access tables managed by different servers within a single query.

Brian Johnson

This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this line :)