Gelu Gogancea wrote:

You make confusion between terms, CONCEPTS and TECHNOLOGIES.Is not yet
invented the tools which should THINK instead of  our BRAIN when must design
a system...any kind of.

You are mistaken if you think that I am confused about this.

There are RDBMS's out there that support the features that I described. An example is CA-OpenIngres. They are good for building distributed databases because they allow the implementer to work at a higher and more appropriate level, concentrating on the distribution appropriate instead of the mechanism for implementing distribution, and because they let the application developer ignore the fact that the database happens to be distributed.

I made no claim that these other tools "think" or "design"; they simply have extra functionality which implements distribution -- which is what the original poster was asking about. A human being still must figure out what the most effective distribution strategy is.

MySQL is a fine RDBMS; it simply does not implement distribution in its engine. By claiming that it does, you do a disservice to other RDBMSs which *do*, and to people looking for such a solution.

Bruce Feist