At 12:10 -0800 3/17/03, Mike Whybark wrote:
I just upgraded to

mysqladmin Ver 8.23 Distrib 3.23.55, for apple-darwin6.3 on powerpc

from 3.23.52. Both packages are via Marc Liyanage's binary distribution from http://www.entropy.ch/.

following the upgrade, one (and only one) of the databases is affected such that its' user access is disrupted.

---
Error (1044) : Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'primaryuserdatabase'
---

root-level or widely privileged users can access the database without difficulty.

if a given user, with tight access to another database, is granted access to the database, the granted access will not work, and the user access request will generate this error:

---
Error (1044) : Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'primaryuserdatabase'
---

I've established to my own satisfaction that this problem is specific to primaryuserdatabase; however, I don't understand why top-level users with global privs can access the database when the restricted users cannot.

Is the primaryuser account specified with Host value in the user table? And after the upgrade do you have an entry in the user table that has Host = localhost and User = blank?

please advise, and feel free to request more data. Thank you for your time! -- Mike Whybark - [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mike.whybark.com/

--
Paul DuBois
http://www.kitebird.com/