I am running this query that is awfully slow. It's a simple query between two heap tables with two joins. I ran a "explain" statement to see why it is running so slow and realized that mysql was using indexing for one of the lesser inefficient joins! I fixed this problem by adding a STRAIGHT_JOIN to the SQL statement. However, this seems kinda inelegant. Is there a way to specifically specify which index to use in the join? I looked it up on google and there seems to be a "USE KEY" command which forces mysql to use a particular index. However, it does not seemed to be supported in MySQL 3.2.3 .

Any other thing that can help me besides STRAIGHT_JOIN?

- Steve