At 12:31 -0500 3/19/03, Tab Alleman wrote:
MySQL 3.23.54, Win2k Server:

I am trying to take a .sql file that I got from a mysqldump from one
mysql server, and use it to populate a new mysql server, as though I
were restoring a backup after a total system crash.

I am using the following command, following the only example I could
find in the documentation ("mysql>" prompt shown for clarity):

mysql> mysql < u:/db backup 20030318/cm_central.sql;

But I get the following error message:

ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'mysql < u:/db
backup 2003
0318/cm_central.sql' at line 1

I'm going to try things like copying the file locally and taking the
spaces out of the folder name, but also just wanted to ask if I'm even
on the right track here.  Is this the correct way to import from a .sql
file?

Nope. But you knew that already! :-)

If you're in mysql already, use the SOURCE command:

mysql> SOURCE filename;

But that may not work with a filename that has colons, slashes, spaces, etc.

The < syntax can be used, but that's for use from the command line
prompt.  For example:

C:\> mysql < u:\db backup 20030318\cm_central.sql

Note that in this case you use backslashes.  I imagine you'll also
have to put quotes around the filename if it contains spaces.

--
Paul DuBois
http://www.kitebird.com/