I would be wary of disabling version().  That's the kind of annoying
thing that sys admins do when they don't understand the life of a
developer.  Some programs and modules require the version() function to
work.  Security to that extreme is only useful if you understand that it
may cause more downtime than a breakin.  If that is understood and the
time/money spent is worth it, then that is fine.

I can only see this kind of security necessary for medical or classified
information.