You guys probably need to start mysql with the --skip-grant option
and fix the allow tables...

See the mysql.com website or google.com for "lost password" "mysql"

-----Original Message-----
From: Chee-Wai Yeung [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mysqladmin -u root -h myhost password 'new-password' fails

Karl,

yes, same problem here.

Looking at the user table it seems the entry is there,
but mysqladmin failed. I also attempted to set by hand
the password using update table. The update succeeded,
but then when I used mysql -u root -h <hostname> -p
and
typed in the password, mysql also denied access saying
the access was denied.

The problem does not exist in mysql 3.23.56.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Chee Wai

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I installed the 4.0.12-max binary distribution for
> x86-linux (got the
> same behavior with -standard).  This was a brand new
> installation.  When
> I ran scripts/mysql_install_db, it tells me:
>
>     PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL
> root USER !
>     This is done with:
>     ./bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
>     ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h tug.org password
> 'new-password'
>     See the manual for more instructions.
>
> The first command, without the -h, worked fine, and
> indeed I must type
> password now when I say mysqladmin -u root or -u
> root -h localhost.
>
> However, the second command, with the -h tug.org,
> fails, with the error
> message
> mysqladmin: unable to change password; error:
> 'Can't find any matching row in the user table'
>
> More importantly, I can still run commands like
>   mysqladmin -u root -h tug.org variables
> without being asked for a password.  (By the way, I
> suggest adding this
> test to the other ones listed in the `General
> security' node.)
>
> When I inspected the user table as explained in the
> manual,
> there are lines for both localhost and tug.org, and
> only the localhost
> line has a password (which I've x'd it below):
> mysql> select Host,User,Password from mysql.user
> WHERE User='root';
> +-----------+------+------------------+
> | Host      | User | Password         |
> lists.mysql.com with no luck,
> although searching was so slow I couldn't be as
> thorough as I would
> liked to have been.  I also searched for this on
> google[/groups] with no
> results, but found (not surprisingly) a number of
> other people reporting
> the exact same problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mysqladmin+%22find+any+matching+row%22&hl=
en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=alig93%242t8e%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&r
num=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=5bca2770813d0
016&rnum=6

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=8a5b663b86b43