You guys probably need to start mysql with the --skip-grant option
    and fix the allow tables...

    See the mysql.com website or google.com for "lost password" "mysql"

Thanks for the tip about how to proceed.

Just so we don't lose track here, the point of the bug we're reporting
is that mysql_install_db is telling us to do something that doesn't work
(and, even worse, leaves the [EMAIL PROTECTED] user without a password).

So either mysql_install_db should be changed to say the right thing, or
the command should be made to work :).  I do not know enough to even
guess what the underlying problem might be.

Thanks,
karl