At 04:40 PM 3/28/2003, you wrote:
Where can a newbie go to learn how design and build a database quick.

Thanks

David

David,
That's like saying to a sales person at a home center mega store, "How do I design an build a house real quick". Well, it takes time to learn database design and MySQL. If you make a mistake with the database, the walls and roof aren't going to fall in on you, but sometimes it just feels that way.<g>

To get started may I suggest Paul Dubois excellent book called "MySQL 2nd Edition".

The MySQL manual is also quite good.http://www.mysql.com/downloads/download.php?file=/Downloads/Manual/manual.pdf#mirrors

You also need a GUI tool for MySQL unless you want to use SQL scripts to build your database. Try MySQLFront which is free but discontinued. Download from http://efux.de/mysqlfront/MySQL-Front_2.5_Setup.exe.

There is also SQLyog which is another MySQL admin tool from http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/index.html. That is also free.

MS also had a pretty good case tool Visio Modeler which has plenty of docs on how to design a database. Download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27fe6786-a439-4286-b8b6-7a9b84cfa709&DisplayLang=en

So the only thing that isn't free here is Paul's book. (Why is that Paul?<VBG>)

So's I can feed my family! :-)

Mike

--
Paul DuBois